Monday, June 27, 2011

Reckon It

I use the phrase "I reckon" quite a bit. "I reckon we should go", "I reckon that's what he meant", "I reckon I've had enough coffee for today." I've always used it instead of saying "I think". Now whenever I say it as "I think", I pause. And laugh. Because it isn't always the most appropriate.

"Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin." Romans 6:11a

I don't reckon it's enough just to think about this :P In fact, I know it's not. the fact that we are dead to sin is not something we just should think on. "Reckon" is an accounting term and we need to approach it as such. Too many Christians don't. They rejoice in being saved and having "a relationship" with Christ. But that's where it stops. For too long Christians have looked at the calls to be holy 1 Pet 1:16), to be perfect (Matt 5:8), to be slaves to righteousness (Romans 6:19), to be dead to sin (Romans 6:10-12), to be loving in a supernatural way (Luke 6:27-31), and to be dead to self (Matt 1:24) and have tried...and failed.

Why? Because we haven't reckoned. We rejoice that He's forgiven us that we will spend eternity with him and then turn to Romans 7 to explain away the fact that there's still sin in our lives. In the Bible, a lot of the time, when "flesh" is used, it does mean the body. But in Romans 6-12, the term "flesh" is referring to the "Old Man". The person who was born the first time. Read Romans 6-8 knowing that and they quickly become the triumphant chapters they were meant to be.

Read that passage from Romans 7 knowing that, and you realize you were meant for more than surrendering to sin. Romans 7:24-25 reveals the secret - Jesus Christ is your way out of that. Get IN HIM.

You - the Old Man you - was crucified with Him (Rom 6:6, Rom 6:3, Gal 2:20). you - the new you - was resurrected with Him (Rom 6:4-5, Gal 2:20, Romans 6:11, 2 Cor 5:17). You don't have to listen to the Old Man anymore. As my roommate puts it, it's like going to a graveyard and waiting to hear the people buried speak to you. And if they did..you'd run right? Exactly. Present and yield yourselves to Him alone (1 Cor 6:19-20, Rom 12:1). You are seated in heavenly places with Christ (Eph 1:18-22, Eph 2:4-6).

What is under His feet is under yours. What He does, you do. Where He goes, you go. Only what can get to Him can get to you if you are IN Christ. And sin can't touch Him.

Romans 6:11 doesn't say we should be longing to be dead to sin. It doesn't say we should think about it in theory and think it's a lovely idea. We are to take hold of it, daily (1 Cor 15:31b).

Reckon it.

1 comment:

  1. I love this my Mary Catherine!!! Thanks so much for sharing all that you do. I love you so much and I am so proud of you EVERY day!

    ReplyDelete