Thursday, July 22, 2010

Receiving's New Definition

A lot of times I will read verses talking about giving, and I'll read it as a personal direction. I read "Freely you have received, freely give (Matthew 10:8) and really hear "Mary, you are to freely give." And how could I not give freely and gladly, when I know firsthand that when Jesus said "It is more blessed to give than to receive" He wasn't kidding?

So, gladly I give. Not as much as I could, should, or would like to, but I do. Yet, sometimes I find it hard to receive. If someone tries to give to me in some capacity, it's very likely I will try to decline it.

But recently, it's like a light bulb went off in my head while I was reading in Peter..."Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." (4:10). I read this, and instantly other verses speaking about how we are to love one another came to mind. And then I couldn't shake the words "one another" from my head. Suddenly it dawned on me that others read the same words I do. Others read the same "freely give" command as I read. Others read and know the truth that it's more blessed to give than to receive.

Duh? Yeah...

How often have I refused someone's free giving? How often have I denied someone the chance to know the truth that it is more blessed to give than to receive? How often have I not taken what others have sincerely offered, whether it be a gift, service, time, etc., and instead took their blessing away from them?

Honestly, that made my heart sink. I want to bless others. Still, something about taking from others never sits completely well with me. I have to think of it differently. So, I have to give receive a new definition: to give a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment