Thursday, August 30, 2012

Anoint me

I recently got a book of Morning Devotions by Susannah Spurgeon: free grace and dying love. This morning, I was reading one of the entries about Psalm 92:10 - "I shall be anointed with fresh oil" and I found myself praying her prayer from her reflections as I read along. So, I thought I'd share

     Dear Lord, your Word declares, 'The anointing which ye have received of him, abideth in you.' Fulfil this promise to me, I beg you,that I may no more dishonour  you by languid or half-hearted worship or work.
     Anoint me for service, Lord, that, in all I do for you, either directly or indirectly, there may be manifested the power of the Holy Spirit, and the wholehearted earnestness which only he can supply!
     Anoint me for sacrifice, so that contrary to my sinful nature, self may be overcome, and bound, and crucified, that Christ alone may reign in my mortal body!
     Anoint me for suffering, if so it be your will, that I may praise you as I pass through the waters and the fires of affliction! 
     Anoint me for intercession, O my Father, that for others, as well as myself, I may plead with you, and may prevail! This morning, Lord, pour your holy 'oil of joy' upon my head, and let the precious, fragrant unction of your grace drop down from hour to hour on the day's garments, till the skirts of night shall enfold both body and soul in the sweet spices of the sleep which you give to your beloved!

No comments:

Post a Comment